Menu

Texas Forts Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Fort McKavett


The community of Fort McKavett is at the intersection of Farm roads 864 and 1674, southwest of Menard.

Fort McKavett began in the 1850s as a community of civilians associated with a military post then known as Camp San Saba (not to be confused with Camp San Saba in McCulloch County). After the fort was reactivated after the Civil War, the civilian community began to grow and adopted the name of the post. When the forts was permanently closed in 1883, many community residents stayed. In the 1960s, efforts began to restore the old fort and the site became Fort McKavett State Historical Park.


Map



Upcoming Events