Menu

Texas Forts Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Haskell


In West Texas water is life. That’s why reliable springs here attracted 19th century Native Americans and white hunters who followed bison herds across the plains. Army Capt. Randolph Marcy’s expedition stopped by in 1849 while surveying a route to the California goldfields. One expedition member encouraged his brother, Thomas F. Tucker, to settle the site, which he accomplished 30 years later. Tucker became the first judge when Haskell County was formed in 1885 with Haskell as its seat. The town dominated regional trade, handling large shipments of cotton, cattle and grain after the railroad arrived in 1906. That same year (and again in 1931), the county expanded and remodeled its 1891 courthouse, removing a bell tower and roof, while retaining Italian Renaissance architectural features. Take a peek back in time at city park where visitors view period room settings at La Briere House, Haskell’s first home. At the county library, examine the high life of a notable couple, J.U. and Florence Fields, whose personal collection includes antique furnishings, fine china, rugs and even Florence’s 1907 swimsuit.


Contact


Map