Menu

Texas Forts Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Tuscola


Jim Ned High school Stadium; Tuscola, Texas.

The original townsite, sometimes referred to as "the Flat" by area settlers, was two or three miles west of the present location about 19 miles south of Abilene on U.S. Highway 83. Tuscola was named by one of its founders, Clarence M. Cash, who moved to the area in 1898 from Tom Green County, for his hometown in Illinois. A school district named Jim Ned was organized by the commissioners' court in 1884; between 1897 and 1900 a more continuous school site emerged at Tuscola near Jim Ned Creek on land deeded by John L. Graham, who made similar donations to attract a store, church, and cotton gin. In 1948-49, the Tuscola Independent School District expanded by adding the Cedar Gap, Ovalo, and Bradshaw schools and changed its name to South Taylor County Independent School District. In 1956 the Lawn schools, previously a separate independent district, also joined. The merger formed a new unit called the Jim Ned Consolidated Independent School District. In 1974 a more modern structure replaced the 1912 school building. Nearby Abilene State Park offers camping and diverse recreation opportunities.


Contact


Map