Texas Forts Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program


Lake Proctor and Dam

Proctor was established in 1872 by Thomas Moore when he came west for his health. He decided to open a store and bought a small tract of land. He formed a partnership with Alexander Watson Proctor for whom the town was named. A post office was established in 1874 but discontinued in 1881. The community moved in the early 1890s, when the railroad bypassed the town by a mile. In 1891 lots were sold for a new community. Proctor became a shipping center. Proctor Reservoir, a federal flood-control lake, was impounded by a dam finished in 1963 on the Leon River. Lake Proctor provides water for the area and is a recreation area.